Monday, July 8, 2013

too excited for sleep

At 4:00AM my host Dad, Wilson, decides to book my trip to Madrid. It's official. I'm leaving September 9th. It's unreal how soon that is, 2 months and a day. Are you kidding me? I feel like my whole world is in Chicago.  My family, friends, puppy Kramer, (sorry gumbo my devil kitty you are not a weighing factor in this one) job connections, singing opportunities, everything is here. I know I need to grow up but the stresses of actually doing so on my own are giving me anxiety! Life as I know it, after this trip, will never be the same. I hope it provides me great opportunities when I get back to the states. That is, if I am able to conquer the Spanish language in a year... which isn't looking too hot as I am still trying to figure out English. Damn my early years with a speech impediment. If my family didn't find it so adorable when I said "Hi, my name is HANNIN," or "Hut up and go to HEEP,"{Shut up and go to sleep is you didn't get that one} if they had just corrected me instead of encouraging my struggles, I may have mastered the English language by now. I digress,  I hope that when I come back I will be able to take my experiences abroad and apply them to my life in Chicago or wherever I end up. I ideally would like to work for Telemundo in their Station Relations Department or Univision. That is if I ever come back. Many of my friends think I'll never come back knowing my past travel experiences I really dive in to new adventures and don't look back. 

However, now at 5AM I keep on wondering if I made the right decision. I know I'll never get this opportunity again to travel all expenses paid, airfare, health insurance, schooling for two hours of Espanol a day, and pocket change to travel on my weekends. My host family is extremely generous and supportive and I am so lucky to have found them. And on top of a great host family, not to mention, one of my best friends CJ is coming and AuPairing for the house only 300 ft away. My friend Jessica from JKB is also traveling to teach English in Spain a month after I arrive.

 And my friend Kelly, from my hometown, will be in Germany. She is the one who actually suggested that I embark on this new adventure. SEE HER BLOG :  HERE She told me about her great family she found through AuPair.net and within a few hours after looking at hundreds of families I locked in to one. I first, looked at Japan and the Philippines, since if anyone knows my preference in men, I thought I'd look into some Asian Sensation lands. I then realized I was not thinking with my head and since I studied Spanish for 8+ years, it would be in my best interest to look into Spain. Barcelona was my first choice but the accommodations in both Madrid and Barcelona cities were not up to my standard.  Call me high maintenance but I DID NOT want to share a bathroom with the girls I'll be aupairing for. I know I like to live on my own and do adore my me time so I rather not have rugrats in my bathroom. A girl's bathroom is her sanctuary. So after I found a family with my HM (High maintenance) living requirements and perfectly aged children (13, 11,9 year old girls), and English speaking  parents. No changing diapers abroad, no language barriers within the household, and I was sold. They actually have a dual citizenship so they understand my American ways quite well and I already feel so welcomed. The girls Laura, Adrianna, and Noya all have things in common with me. Laura the 13 year old, likes to shop and horseback ride, um hello? Been riding since I was 8 years old. Adrianna likes to sell jewelry and model, I was a child model and am a consumer of jewelry so we are all set. Oh, and Noya is the tom-boy and loves sports. So perfect! 

 I will be living 30 KM outside of Madrid in Torrelodones in my own private two floored loft area. I will have a queen sized bed, my own bathroom, library, and living area. I'm already getting excited to organize all my clothes and jewelry in my new room and put pictures up of all my friends to make it feel like home. My room at my house in the burbs is literally a closet. I have a bed, but you would never know since all I can fit in my room are my clothes. I have not slept in my bed the whole year I have been home. So legit, it is just a walk-in closet for the past year. I'm excited for more living space for sure!! 
Loft Entrance (PEACH AND GREEN YUP! LOVES IT)

Living Area

Hi bathroom, you're cute!

DRESSERS YES

Stairway to my new bedroom



Bed that is x2 the size of my Bed in my current room
Say hello to my lil piece of heaven in my backyard




Yes , that's a rock climbing wall and water in the background
 Ya I'm pretty stoked. RoFo it's been real, but I really ready for new scenery. My only reservations stem from the fact that it is now SUMMER IN THE CITY. No one would want to leave Chicago in the Summer. Nothing beats it. I just feel like I have so much to do in the next two months that my head won't stop spinning. I'm off for my morning run to calm my nerves and start my day off right. 

I may even post later, watch out, two a day blog posts, this will never happen when I'm abroad so better embrace it now. I have to go to the  Spanish embassy so after I'm approved or disapproved (gosh that would suck after all of this excitement, paperwork, and planning...) I'll post a pic of my happy happy face. :)

The picture that really won me over was after we had our skype interview, Wilson sent me a picture of his wife and his girls all crowding around their ipad to talk to me. The girls told me right then and there, they only wanted me to come, and they didn't want to talk to any other aupairs. My heart melted, yes, I'm a total softie. I can't find the picture in my emails at the moment but will post it later. 

I've worked with kids for over 11 years and became known as Shanny-the-Nanny four years ago in my hometown. After numerous of side jobs,internships, and part-time babysitting positions... I'M BACK. Shanny-THEE-Nanny will be living in Spain for a year or more with a family that I know I'll adore.

Disclaimer:
Shannythenanny was already taken as a blog name by someone else but Thee felt almost even more appropriate as I'll be tryna talk all proper out there. 

Until I leave, September 9th, I'll be positing about anything and everything in preparation for my travels. I'll be leaving July 23 for Prague, Vienna, and Munich with my sister and want to practice writing now prior to get my style of writing back in working order. I know I write in stream of consciousness so practice makes perfect right? I am really writing this so I remember what I did and what I see when I'm abroad. I swear I have early onset of alzheimer's so this will aid my lack of memory. Hopefully though, I'll become a better writer by doing this blog for your sake but otherwise, at least I'll make ya laugh and keep you informed of my where abouts. Vlogs will be coming shortly as well. 

Please comment and give advice on my posts. Tell me where to go, what to see, or how to make my blog stronger. I'm new at this so bear with me until I get the hang of it. 

Te cuidas,

<3Shanny-thee-nanny<3







2 comments:

  1. So excited for u!! Will follow this for sure! Love ya!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm so when can I come visit ?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete